5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them. 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 5:5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 5:6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God. 5:10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them. 5:11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil things about you falsely on account of me. 5:12 Rejoice and be glad because your reward is great in heaven, for they persecuted the prophets before you in the same way.
- The beatitudes are beautiful...and opposite of everything we believe in our culture. Blessed are those who follow Jesus with their whole hearts.
- They will blessed if they mourn...for they will find comfort in Him.
- I think the next one is a true enigma in our culture. Blessed are those that are meek and humble. Not me...me...me, but looking to others ahead of ourselves. We are told to get ahead, walk over whomever you need to, success is what matters. But not to God! He wants humility. He wants us to realize we can't do it on our own...we NEED Him.
- Blessed are those who desire righteousness. To hunger and thirst for it...to want to do what God wants no matter what.
- Blessed are those who show mercy. It is so easy to become self-righteous and look down our nose at others. God wants us to show mercy, though. We have been granted mercy from him...how much more should we show mercy to others. Living a life of forgiveness and Grace is what God wants from us!
- Blessed are those who are pure of heart. Keeping our hearts from wickedness and our sinful desires and turning our hearts toward Him.
- Blessed are the peacemakers. We aren't to be stirring up strife. We are to be bringers of peace. Living peacefully among those in our vicinity.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for Christ. If we live our life for Him and endure persecution because of it we are called blessed! Again...so contrary to what we believe in our culture. We desire to avoid persecution at all costs!
Humility...desiring righteousness...mercy...purity...peacefulness...standing under persecution.
May each one of us try to live our lives in view of these things. Slowly reworking our hearts and lives to align with what God wants for us.