I stumbled across Mt. Hope Academy last week, and noticed she was hosting a weekly series about Living Lovely with family. I decided I wanted to check in to get some ideas on how to be more purposeful in my family life. This first week is the daily edition - it is about what you do daily to connect with your family. Check out her blog here, and see what she and others have to say!
This is an area where I need to strive and grow. I spend pretty much 24 hours a day with my kids...but I often neglect the purposeful interactions designed to produce those lasting memories. I am going to try, after the adjustment of adding our newest member of the family (hopefully soon!), to make sure this is added to my to-do list everyday!
What we do now:
- My husband reads a read-aloud and bible passages each afternoon or evening (depending on his work schedule)
- We homeschool, so I daily have one on one interactions with each child as we go over their work, learn new things, and discuss what they've learned
- Also, along with homeschooling, we study history and science all together as a family
- Eating together as a family
- We have several chore times a day where we all are doing our own jobs, but we are working together
Things I'd would like to do in the future:
- I would like to do more day to day cooking with the kids. It is often easier to just do it myself without littles underfoot, but I think I'm missing those bonding opportunities.
- As the kids get older, I would like to do a "tea time" in the afternoon where we can enjoy a snack and discuss what we are learning.
- Take time everyday to do something fun together as a family (playing a game, art projects, hikes, hands-on school projects)